PDF Print E-mail

Nunhead Cemetery

Perhaps the least known, but most attractive, of the great Victorian Cemeteries of London. Consecrated in 1840, it is one of the seven great Victorian cemeteries established in a ring around the outskirts of London. It contains examples of the magnificent monuments erected in memory of the most eminent citizens of the day, which contrast sharply with the small, simple headstones marking common, or public, burials. It's formal avenue of towering limes and the Gothic gloom of the original Victorian planting gives way to paths which recall the country lanes of a bygone era.

The Friends of Nunhead Cemetery (FONC) exists to represent all those with an interest in the cemetery. The group seeks to promote the conservation and appreciation of the cemetery as a place of remembrance, of historic importance and of natural beauty. There is a conducted tour of the cemetery, open to all, on the last Sunday of each month, starting from the Linden Grove gates at 2:15 p.m.

Click here to see a map.

Forthcoming Events

Wrenches, Trenches and Stenches
A public art exhibition
Weekends & Bank Holidays in May

2014 Open Day
Saturday 17th May 2014

Buy a FONC Shopping Bag
Reusable Cotton Shopping Bag
Members receive a multi-page quarterly newsletter containing news, features, letters and adverts. Also listed are details of meetings, tours and open days organised for members and the general public. Click here to join.

Committee meetings are held at 7.45 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month, (except August) at the Function Room of the Old Nun's Head pub, Nunhead Green, SE15. Committee meetings are open meetings and members are welcome to attend in a non-voting capacity.

Occasional open/public meetings take place when an invited speaker may give a slide presentation on a subject sympathetic to FONCs aims and activities such as cemetery conservation, cemeteries generally, local history, wildlife etc. These meetings are advertised in the newsletter.

Practical conservation work is carried out in the cemetery on the first Sunday of each month. Meet at the FONC portacabin by the main entrance in Linden Grove between 10.00 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. Don't feel that you have to stay for the whole time though. Even if you can only spare an hour or two, it will really help. Volunteers must be FONC members for insurance purposes. Non-members can become a member on the day if they wish, by signing a membership application form and paying their first subscription at the same time.

Monumental inscription recording is carried out in the cemetery on the third Sunday of each month All volunteers are most welcome and should meet at the FONC portacabin by the main entrance in Linden Grove at 11.00 a.m.

Opening times - The cemetery is open to the public daily (including weekends) from 08.30 am to 4:00 pm throughout the winter months and stays open slightly later in spring and summer. Please note these times are subject to alteration.
Please see our information about visiting under "Gravesite search".
Further information about opening times is available from Southwark Council.

 

The Friends of Nunhead Cemetery

~ Back To Top ~

 


These web pages are maintained by Simon Quill. FONC Member 1423.
If you have any problems accessing them then please send a message to the Webmaster.

Friends of Nunhead Cemetery (FONC)
Established 1981 - Registered charity number 296413

Website by PricklyTree